Struggling with ADHD?
ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is a condition that affects thousands of children across the world, with specialists diagnosing more and more cases each year. A recent estimate states that 8-10% of children and adolescents are dealing with this condition. The diagnosis of ADHD has been steadily increasing in recent years and is matched by the growing number of medications used to treat it. This article shows how chiropractic care can help.
Although boys are more commonly diagnosed with ADHD, an increasing number of girls are now being diagnosed with the condition. ADHD has also been found to continue into adulthood and is believed to contribute to the development of neurological disorders later in life.
Despite years of research, experts have yet to determine the exact cause of ADHD. One common factor across the majority of studies is an imbalance of nervous system function, which leads to an imbalance of chemicals in the brain, contributing to hyper-activity. If you are concerned about your child, this article should be a useful resource for you and your family.
Click here for additional information on ADHD and chiropractic care.
Is My Child Suffering From ADHD?
Many parents worry that their child has ADHD. The list below describes some of the most common symptoms of ADHD that have been observed by professionals:
- An inability to concentrate or stay in one place for long periods of time
- Acting impulsively with an inability to wait their turn, allow others to speak, and think before acting out
- Showing an inability to sit for long periods of time
- Always fidgeting, whether with their hands or feet
- An inability to remain quiet for long periods of time
- Preoccupied with other activities and noises instead of the task at hand
- Tendency to talk more than others around them
- Commonly loses things and cannot complete assigned tasks
- Is unorganized and daydreams frequently
As you may have noticed, many of these behaviors are typical in children. The question is not how the child behaves, but how consistently they behave in such a way, and how long this behavior lasts.
What Should I Do if I Suspect ADHD?
If you suspect your child has ADHD don’t panic. There are some great alternative options available. In many cases the traditional approach is to prescribe medication, like Ritalin and Adderall. We have found at Aim High Chiropractic that success can be found without the use of powerful drugs.
Medications can often lead to side effects. The possible side-effects include
- Irregular and fast paced heart beats
- Loss of consciousness or passing out
- Development of fever or skin blisters
- Increased aggression or visual disturbances
- Abnormally high blood pressure
A new method of treatment, that does not feature medication, requires a careful and comprehensive evaluation of your child's spine to identify certain vertebrae that may be out of alignment and contributing to nervous system interference. With low force, non-invasive and carefully applied adjustments, trained pediatric chiropractors can assist the body in re-positioning the vertebrae and begin to restore normality to the nervous system.
Additionally, nutrition plays a very big role in this problem. The majority of children today are living on a diet of close to 100% carbohydrates and by monitoring your children's diet and making appropriate changes you can make a huge difference in their ability to focus.
If you have any questions about our Denver, Aurora, Lakewood, and Wheat Ridge locations, or suspect someone you know is suffering from ADHD, contact our team at Aim High Chiropractic for a full evaluation.
|Spanish or Vietnamese?|